Name: Spenser Bold Hesketh
Known as: –
Date of Birth: 23 April 1853
Place of Birth: Hampshire, England.
Date of Death: 5 December 1903
Place of Death: Aboard “Athenian” in Vancouver, B.C., Canada.
Cause of Death: Heart Failure
Buried: Mountain View Cemetery, Vancouver, Fraser Street.
Rank & Details: First Lieutenant
Spenser Bold Hesketh
- was a member of the original crew who sailed Gayundah from England to Australia.
- was born in Hampshire, England in 1853, the tenth child of Robert Hesketh and Georgiana Raynsford.
- his father Robert was the British Consul General in Rio de Janeiro.
- joined the Royal Navy as a cadet, 9 May 1867, at the age of 14.
- was commissioned in 1873 but retired with the rank of Lieutenant in 1878.
The London Gazette, 30 September 1878
Admiralty, I8th September, 1878.
In accordance with the provisions of Her Majesty’s Order in Council of the 22nd February, 1870— Lieutenant Spencer Bold Hesketh has this day been placed on the Retired List of his rank.
In 1885, aged 31, he came to Australia, as First Lieutenant of the delivery crew for Gayundah.
Unfortunately due to some financial irregularities he was court marshalled in 1887 for “conduct unbecoming an officer”.
INSERT links for records of the courts-martial
INSERT link back to Bennets mention of attending the courth Martial of Hekseth.
He later worked for the Surveyor General in Queensland as a Trig Surveyor.
Son of: Robert Hesketh (179?-1868) and Georgina Raynsford (18??-1910).
1. Robert Raynsford Hesketh (1837-1854). Ensign 22nd Madras Native Infantry, died in India.
2. William Crosbie Hesketh (1839-????), Lieutenant in the Royal Marine Artillery.
3. George Hesketh (1840- after 1861), Lieutenant in the Royal Navy.
4. Eliza Jane Jones (nee Hesketh, 1842-1869) who married Capt Henry Helsham Jones
5. Henry John Hesketh (1843-1871), Lieutenant in the Royal Navy.
6. Hamilton Maria Sandford nee Hesketh (1845-1895, known as Hammie) who married in 1867 George Edward Langham Somerset Sandford, Capt Royal Engineers, later Lieut General.
7. Georgiana Sarah Hesketh (1846-19??, known as Netta). Never married.
8. Hanbury Bold Hesketh (1848-1852).
9 Mary Sophie Hesketh (1853-195?, known as Sophie). Never married. Born 23 April 1853 and lived to be over 100.
10. Harriet Lucy Hesketh (1854-19??, known as Harrietta). Never married.
11. Earnest Johnston Hesketh (1856-????).
12. Harold Owen Hesketh (1857-1876).
It is not know if Spenser married and whether he had any children.
(Biography / Service History/ photos / etc)
Thanks: Much of the information above has been provided by Eunice Bold-Edwards of South Australia.