A rebirth for HMAS Gayundah
On 5 August 1914 Australia received a telegram informing her of the previous days’ declaration of war by Great Britain on Germany. At the time, HMAS Gayundah, former flagship of the Queensland Navy, is en route from Sydney to Brisbane.
In 1914 she was one of the oldest ships in the R.A.N.
Gayundah’s 8-inch for’d gun was removed and she was sent to Sydney where a raised forecastle was built onto her, making her more seaworthy and more able to maintain speed at sea.
HMAS Gayundah was commissioned at Sydney on 9th November, 1915, as tender to HMAS Tingira (Naval Order 94, 1915)
Her World War One career was largely uneventful. She spent her time patrolling the eastern seaboard and her familiar stamping ground of Moreton Bay. Her wartime roles included those of tender, gunship and minesweeper.
As the war entered its final months, it was clear that Australia was not at any territorial risk, or at least none for which Gayundah was a suitable solution.
HMAS Gayundah was retired from the Royal Australian Navy and was decommissioned on 23rd August 1918.